This issue tracker has been migrated to GitHub, and is currently read-only.
For more information, see the GitHub FAQs in the Python's Developer Guide.

Author jaraco
Recipients amaury.forgeotdarc, eric.smith, giampaolo.rodola, jafo, jaraco, lemburg, loewis, nnorwitz, r.david.murray, swarren
Date 2009-10-23.22:08:27
SpamBayes Score 2.12098e-08
Marked as misclassified No
Message-id <>
After some in-depth analysis, I determined the following:

1) The new symlink-aware os.stat has to find the target of a symlink to
properly function.
2) The previously-proposed patch uses GetFilenameByHandle in os.stat to
find the target, but this fails when a handle can't be obtained (such as
when a symlink points to pagefile.sys.
3) Explorer doesn't use GetFilenameByHandle. I used ProcMon to monitor
the API calls when it looks up the properties for a symlink to
pagefile.sys. It appears to use CreateFile and DeviceIoControl to trace
through the symlink chain.

So, I've written a proof of concept that determines a symlink target
using these API calls. The code is in at
.  For convenience, I've pasted the most relevant code segments at .

I'd like to get comments on this implementation before porting this to
the C code and adding it to the os.stat call. One of the aspects that
makes me uncomfortable is the fact that I have to call relpath between
each iteration.

I have tested this approach fairly thoroughly. It appears to work under
all circumstances (through multiple symlinks across drives and
ultimately pointing at pagefile.sys).

If no one can suggest a better approach, I plan to code this into the patch.
Date User Action Args
2009-10-23 22:08:29jaracosetrecipients: + jaraco, lemburg, loewis, nnorwitz, jafo, amaury.forgeotdarc, eric.smith, giampaolo.rodola, swarren, r.david.murray
2009-10-23 22:08:29jaracosetmessageid: <>
2009-10-23 22:08:28jaracolinkissue1578269 messages
2009-10-23 22:08:27jaracocreate