Author William.D..Colburn
Recipients William.D..Colburn, ezio.melotti
Date 2012-12-26.06:59:15
SpamBayes Score -1.0
Marked as misclassified Yes
Message-id <1356505156.77.0.42259028203.issue16783@psf.upfronthosting.co.za>
In-reply-to
Content
This seems to be just like issue6010, which is closed as "not as bug" which is simple irresponsible on the part of Python.

The problem is that I can store data into sqlite3 which cannot be retrieved.  The data I encountered was a string with a \xa0 in it that was read from urllib2.  I deposited that data into an sqlite3 database with no trouble at all.  Later, however, sqlite3 would throw an exception when I tried to retrieve the data.

Martin v. Löwis says this is user error because sqlite3 assumes UTF-8. It makes no sense that storeable data cannot be retrieved and that the failure of sqlite3 is a user-error.  If sqlite3 assumes UTF-8, then the error should have been caught when I did the store because I was not storing UTF-8 data.  Accepting bad input and blaming the user later down the line is bad bug handling, especially because the two events might be separated by a tremendous gap of time and code which makes debugging quite hard.  I was only able to find the errant character by popping the streamed webpage into emacs as both python and firefox showed me a normal looking string with nothing wrong with it.
History
Date User Action Args
2012-12-26 06:59:16William.D..Colburnsetrecipients: + William.D..Colburn, ezio.melotti
2012-12-26 06:59:16William.D..Colburnsetmessageid: <1356505156.77.0.42259028203.issue16783@psf.upfronthosting.co.za>
2012-12-26 06:59:16William.D..Colburnlinkissue16783 messages
2012-12-26 06:59:15William.D..Colburncreate