This issue tracker has been migrated to GitHub, and is currently read-only.
For more information, see the GitHub FAQs in the Python's Developer Guide.

Author kristjan.jonsson
Recipients Arfrever, Romme, amaury.forgeotdarc, eric.araujo, ezio.melotti, flox, kristjan.jonsson, pitrou, vstinner
Date 2010-08-24.21:04:31
SpamBayes Score 1.38056e-13
Marked as misclassified No
Message-id <>
Yes.  in #1552880 I tried to make as minimal a change as possible.  This particular patch is still in use in EVE Online, which is installed in various strange and exotic paths in the orient..

The trick I employed there was to encode everything to utf-8 at the earliest oppertunity (current working directory, any unicode members in sys.path, etc.) and let the import.c machinery crunch that utf-8 code.  This works because path separators and other such stuff doesn't change under the utf-8 encoding.  As a final step, the utf8 encoded working string is converted back to unicode and native unicode API calls (on windows) are used to stat() and open() files.

A similar trick could be used on unix by converting from utf-8 to whatever native encoding the stat() and open() calls expect.

My patch never got accepted because I didn't have the time to put in the extra effort to make it cross platform.
Date User Action Args
2010-08-24 21:04:38kristjan.jonssonsetrecipients: + kristjan.jonsson, amaury.forgeotdarc, pitrou, vstinner, ezio.melotti, eric.araujo, Arfrever, flox, Romme
2010-08-24 21:04:38kristjan.jonssonsetmessageid: <>
2010-08-24 21:04:32kristjan.jonssonlinkissue9425 messages
2010-08-24 21:04:31kristjan.jonssoncreate