The bug tracker for setuptools 0.7 or higher is on BitBucket

 

Issue118

Title extracting of symlinks looses original
Priority bug Status resolved
Superseder Nosy List pje, wichert
Assigned To Keywords

Created on 2010-10-01.14:28:14 by wichert, last changed 2010-10-04.16:14:16 by pje.

Messages
msg562 (view) Author: pje Date: 2010-10-04.16:14:16
Thanks.
msg561 (view) Author: wichert Date: 2010-10-04.08:27:59
My apologies, I had not looked at the snapshots. 0.6c12dev-r85190 indeed fixes this problem: the symlink is replaced with a copy of the file.
msg560 (view) Author: pje Date: 2010-10-03.16:27:31
The latest development snapshot (which you will get if you run "easy_install -U setuptools") is version 0.6c12dev-r85190.  That is, the revision in which I added the fix I just mentioned.
msg559 (view) Author: wichert Date: 2010-10-03.07:02:06
I'm afraid this was already using the latest setuptools release: 0.6c11.
msg556 (view) Author: pje Date: 2010-10-02.19:18:26
I've got a fix in the latest versions of setuptools; use "easy_install -U setuptools" to update and try it out.  Let me know if it fixes the problem for you.

Thanks!
msg555 (view) Author: wichert Date: 2010-10-01.14:28:14
I ran into something odd related to handling of symlinks today. I have a source which contains a symlink. The relevant directory looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x  5 wichert staff  170 Oct  1 10:55 ./
drwxr-xr-x 40 wichert staff 1360 Oct  1 10:55 ../
lrwxr-xr-x  1 wichert staff   20 Oct  1 10:55 editor_plugin.js -> editor_plugin_src.js
-rw-r--r--  1 wichert staff 1159 Oct  1 10:55 editor_plugin_src.js

when I create an sdist both the original file and the symlink are included in the .tar.gz. When I install the distribution using the sdist as uploaded on pypi the same directory in the generated egg looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x  3 wichert staff  102 Sep 30 14:50 ./
drwxr-xr-x 39 wichert staff 1326 Sep 30 14:50 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 wichert staff 1159 Sep 30 14:50 editor_plugin.js

the symlink has been replaced with a copy, but the original went missing. Unfortunately both filenames are used, so the result is a broken package.

The relevant package is NuPlone 1.0b2 (http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/N/NuPlone/NuPlone-1.0b2.tar.gz), and the directory is plonetheme/nuplone/z3cform/tiny_mce/plugins/linefield .
History
Date User Action Args
2010-10-04 16:14:17pjesetstatus: testing -> resolved
messages: + msg562
2010-10-04 08:27:59wichertsetmessages: + msg561
2010-10-03 16:27:31pjesetmessages: + msg560
2010-10-03 07:02:06wichertsetmessages: + msg559
2010-10-02 19:19:54pjesetstatus: chatting -> testing
2010-10-02 19:18:27pjesetstatus: unread -> chatting
nosy: + pje
messages: + msg556
2010-10-01 14:28:14wichertcreate