Created on 2007-12-16 17:29 by nagle, last changed 2008-01-05 23:35 by gvanrossum. This issue is now closed.
|msg58673 - (view)||Author: John Nagle (nagle)||Date: 2007-12-16 17:32|
urlparse.urlparse will mis-parse URLs which have a "/" after a "?". >> >> sa1 = 'http://example.com?blahblah=/foo' >> sa2 = 'http://example.com?blahblah=foo' >> print urlparse.urlparse(sa1) >> ('http', 'example.com?blahblah=', '/foo', '', '', '') # WRONG >> print urlparse.urlparse(sa2) >> ('http', 'example.com', '', '', 'blahblah=foo', '') # RIGHT That's wrong. RFC3896 ("Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax"), page 23 says "The characters slash ("/") and question mark ("?") may represent data within the query component. Beware that some older, erroneous implementations may not handle such data correctly when it is used as the base URI for relative references (Section 5.1), apparently because they fail to distinguish query data from path data when looking for hierarchical separators." So "urlparse" is an "older, erroneous implementation". Looking at the code for "urlparse", it references RFC1808 (1995), which was a long time ago, three revisions back. >> >> Here's the bad code: >> >> def _splitnetloc(url, start=0): >> for c in '/?#': # the order is important! >> delim = url.find(c, start) >> if delim >= 0: >> break >> else: >> delim = len(url) >> return url[start:delim], url[delim:] >> >> That's just wrong. The domain ends at the first appearance of >> any character in '/?#', but that code returns the text before the >> first '/' even if there's an earlier '?'. A URL/URI doesn't >> have to have a path, even when it has query parameters. OK, here's a fix to "urlparse", replacing _splitnetloc. I didn't use a regular expression because "urlparse" doesn't import "re", and I didn't want to change that. def _splitnetloc(url, start=0): delim = len(url)# position of end of domain part of url, default is end for c in '/?#': # look for delimiters; the order is NOT important wdelim = url.find(c, start) # find first of this delim if wdelim >= 0: # if found delim = min(delim, wdelim)# use earliest delim position return url[start:delim], url[delim:] # return (domain, rest)
|msg58761 - (view)||Author: Guido van Rossum (gvanrossum) *||Date: 2007-12-18 20:03|
Would you mind submitting a proper patch for Python 2.5 and/or 2.6 generated by "svn diff" relative to an (anonymous) checkout, and adding a unit test? Then I'd be happy to accept this and if it makes it in time for the 2.5.2 release we'll fix it there.
|msg58842 - (view)||Author: John Nagle (nagle)||Date: 2007-12-19 23:44|
I tried downloading the latest rev of urlparse.py (59480) and it flunked its own unit test, "urlparse.test()" Two test cases fail. So I don't want to try to fix the module until the last people to change it fix their unit test problems. The fix I provided should fix the problem I reported, but I'm not sure if there's anything else wrong, since it flunks its unit test.
|msg58846 - (view)||Author: Guido van Rossum (gvanrossum) *||Date: 2007-12-19 23:57|
> I tried downloading the latest rev of urlparse.py (59480) and it flunked > its own unit test, "urlparse.test()" Two test cases fail. That's not the official test -- that code should probably be deleted. The real test is in Lib/test/test_urlparse.py. Please ignore that test.
|msg59337 - (view)||Author: Guido van Rossum (gvanrossum) *||Date: 2008-01-05 22:19|
I checked in your change and made up a test. Committed revision 59758. Thanks!
|msg59339 - (view)||Author: Guido van Rossum (gvanrossum) *||Date: 2008-01-05 23:35|
Backport to 2.5.2: Committed revision 59760.
|2008-01-05 23:35:12||gvanrossum||set||messages: + msg59339|
|2008-01-05 22:19:22||gvanrossum||set||status: open -> closed|
messages: + msg59337
|2008-01-05 11:46:56||vila||set||nosy: + vila|
|2007-12-19 23:57:26||gvanrossum||set||messages: + msg58846|
|2007-12-19 23:44:43||nagle||set||messages: + msg58842|
|2007-12-18 20:03:48||gvanrossum||set||priority: normal|
nosy: + gvanrossum
messages: + msg58761
|2007-12-16 17:32:54||nagle||set||messages: + msg58673|